- Don't target specific agents/editors, just send a mass e-mail to all of them.
- Really show you hate to research by not having read any of the books that said agent or editor has been involved with publishing.
- Don't narrow your book down to one genre or possible publishing house. After all, they all publish the same books and have the same readers.
- Don't waste time with critique partners or groups. Get your work out there as soon as possible. That's what agents and editors do--clean up the writer's mistakes.
- Do chase what's hot right now (which just happens to be long-winded diaries written by shape-shifting zombies that take place in exotic locales like Egypt).
More on these this week. I plan to blog about each way to lose an agent/editor, going into more detail for each.